Friday, October 7, 2011

Event Coverage: Electrolux’s Clothes and Hugs Wash-a-thon Year 3

Last September 30, 2011, the Electrolux Clothes and Hugs Wash-a-thon blogging contest culminated at the open grounds of IMAX Cinema at the SM Mall of Asia. The My Shirt Story was participated by 36 bloggers who each contributed a short story behind a special shirt we own. As part of the contest rules, the blogger must be willing to donate the special shirt to victims of recent typhoons as identified by Electrolux.

The contest invitation was extended to me some weeks ago and I was encouraged to submit my story. I immediately expressed my interest to join because I have a memorable experience a few years back and which I thought was blog worthy. It’s about a t-shirt I wore during my early years as a staff member of World Vision Philippines.


Part of the criteria for judging includes a high percentage on the “comments” portion of the blog which my post lacked. To begin with, I did not consider promoting the story to my network of friends since I consider it more as a personal expression and not with the purposive intention to impress other people. So rallying and campaigning for others to like my story did not become part of my objective because I felt it will demean its essence and stain the humility of why it was written. In short, with all my story’s limitations, I was resigned to the thought that my entry will not win.

However, I consider the event a complete success despite the rain showers that poured for a little while because it never became an obstacle for the program. Thanks to the extra enthusiastic emcees who did a very great job hosting and keeping the evening energetic and lively with their funny antics and silly hilarious games which was participated by the bloggers themselves and at their expense.


Finally, the awarding of the winners was announced. There were 10 finalists that were chosen and each received an Electrolux flat iron as consolation prizes. My entry was tagged in 6th place and the first place was bagged by a guy whose entry was about a T-shirt that he wore when he confessed his affection to his girlfriend many years ago. Having tagged the shirt to have brought him good tidings, he became accustomed to wearing it in many of the events he attend. On many occasion, he even won raffles in these events which he attributed to his shirt as a good luck charm. A few years later, he made his marriage proposal to his girl friend wearing the same shirt and the two were scheduled to get married the day after the Wash-a-thon night!


The Electrolux Wash-a-thon event concluded by a ceremonial turnover of all the t-shirts to the representatives of KBP and DZRH which are the conduit organizations that will subsequently extend the shirts to the victims of the recent calamities brought by typhoons Pedring and Quiel which displaced thousands of families into evacuation areas in some parts of Metro Manila and Central Luzon. 


Along with the clothes donation is, of course, my orange World Vision shirt. It was almost a week since the event and I believe those shirts (including mine) donated would have landed in evacuation areas by now. I can’t help not to imagine the person who will get my shirt. I wish it will fit him/her well. World Vision defines orange as the color of hope, the color of the dawn that signifies a fresh new day, a fresh new start and a fresh new hope for those who have none. I pray that my shirt’s recipient feels that, and more.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...