Wednesday, February 11, 2015

CRYO Instant Cold Wraps: A compact cold wrap for sport injuries

Since 2010, I have encountered all sorts of injuries related to running. Some of them were negligible and recovery periods were short. But sometimes, there were running injuries that took a longer time to heal and were really frustrating. Thankfully, as I grew stronger, my injuries became less and less. 



Recently, a group of young Applied Chemistry students from Ateneo de Manila University successfully developed a compact and reusable cold-wrap without the “ice”. It contains a simple fusion of two chemicals that create an instant cold wrap in gel form. This product actually provides four degrees Celsius of cold therapy that can last for 30 minutes. Amazing, right?! I regret that this stuff was not around during my earlier running days when I often experienced injuries. 



Last February 1, 2015, I had the opportunity to join the Condura Skyway Marathon for the first time and it was my 8th full marathon run on barefoot. It has been months since my last marathon (RUPM) where my performance was not as good as I expected because of an unexpected sprain that happened on my right foot, which resulted to a grueling 5 kilometer run-walk to the finish line. For months, I patiently recovered from the injury and little by little, I trained to grow strong again for another full marathon



Since it was my first run on the Skyway, I didn’t take any chances to suffer another injury again so I brought my CRYO Instant Cold Wrap just in case. The run for the 42k started at 12 midnight and the road is mostly paved; a barefoot friendly route. I finished the run at 4 hours and 48 minutes, a little over than my last PR which is 4 hours 40 minutes. Nonetheless, my Condura Experience was generally good, because the injury I was worried about did not happen. 



However, my good friend who is recovering from a “Torn Meniscus” ran 21k at the same event. During his run, he took two tablets of Celebrex to block any pain that may occur. I guess the drug was so effective because he finished the 21k earlier than expected. But after the run, the pain retaliated with a vengeance leaving his two knees swollen. He brought his ice pack to cover a knee and I lent him my CRYO Instant Cold-wrap to cover the other knee. 



I’m happy that I was able to finish strong at Condura without any injuries and didn’t have to use the CRYO for myself. I’m also glad that I brought it and helped my friend instead. The CRYO pack comes with a neoprene holster that you can wrap around the injured limb. The cold pack in gel form comes in a very durable container. 

Prick the solution inside and mix the two chemicals inside...

Mix the pack until it becomes a gel form, then place it inside bag...

Wrap it around the injured limb...

Cold temperature will last for 30min...


To know more about Cryo Instant Cold Wrap, please visit this Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CryoPlusInstantColdWraps, and follow Twitter: @CRYOPLUS_ICW and Instagram: @CRYOPLUS


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...