Friday, August 26, 2011

Race Review: Kaspersky Lab 10k Run

Kaspersky Lab, the world’s leading and the largest privately-owned Internet Security company has finally went beyond the virtual striding of providing protection to internet users against internet threats and has extended its commitment to the general consumers by sponsoring a 10 kilometer race that coincided with the Run United 2 as part of the RunRio Trilogy marathon.


Last August 19, two days before the race, Kaspersky Lab Philippines held its carbo-loading event at Italiannis Restaurant in Bonifacio High Street. Together with members of the media and friends, the occasion became not just a food celebration but was also the venue where Kaspersky formally announced its support as a partner in the running community, not just in the Philippines, but soon to be initiated in other countries as well.


This was also the venue where Jay R, the country’s leading R & B icon was presented to the media as the company’s official product endorser. Mr. Rico Robles of Monster Radio RX 93.1 hosted the said event and gave a bit of excitement to the audiences as he challenged Jay R to belt out a few R & B songs that certainly delighted the female crowd, especially to a few ladies who were more than proud to show a display of booty dance.


After that short, exhilarating moment with Jay R, RunRio, as represented by Coach Rio Dela Cruz himself, explained how the race will go about with RunRio’s cutting edge in race mapping technology. The race course in all distances was presented in state-of-the art digital animation so that runners will have a clear, bird’s eye view of the route’s difficulty. Mr. Dela Cruz also mentioned RunRio’s celebration of its third year anniversary and he was happy to announce that Run United leg 2 has gathered the largest number of runners ever as more than 16,000 runners have registered!


On August 21, 4:00 am, my wife and I went to Bonifacio Global City, Taguig, where the Run United 2 will take place. I registered in the 10k category and this will be my second time to run barefoot. The first one was just a week before at the Run Your Blues Away race in Ayala Alabang where I clocked-in at 49mins 24secs. As much as I would like to target beating my previous time, I had doubts if I can really do it. Two days before the race, I felt a slight pain and discomfort on my left foot from a short run I did but I was still hoping it will be okay for the Run United 2 event.


The gun fired at exactly 5:30am for the 10k runners. According to the organizers, there were about 4,800 10k runners that day. This was why it took me, and the rest of the crowd positioned at the rear end, a long time to cross the starting line. After a while, I started to pick up my pace but felt the discomfort in my left foot although it was constant but manageable. I tried several landing forms to find what’s the best way to lessen the feeling of discomfort and felt the pain slowly subsiding. I picked up some pace after the eighth kilometer mark but I guessed, by this time, beating my last time would already be futile. So I just glided leisurely just to finish the race. It’s a good thing that the streets of BGC is “barefoot-friendly” and the sharp, small pebbles which I feared the most were much less than I expected.


I crossed the finish line at exactly 1hr. 00min and 08sec. I did not beat my previous time. Nonetheless, I had a wonderful time running in this event and I can’t wait to register for the next RunRio leg whenever it may be.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...